Scion, a marque of vehicles produced by Toyota that targets Generation Y consumers, has run simple, yet engaging promotions at college campuses across the nation. In the clip enclosed below, Scion devised an on-court promotion where a contestant needed to make a layup, free throw, three-point shot, and a half-court shot in 24 seconds to win a brand new car. The promotion was executed and captured extremely well by the University of Maryland Athletics Department.
However, it is important to note that Scion could have done a number of things to really enhance the promotion:
- Feature a model of the car on-court
- Have personnel deliver keys to the car to the contestant
- Extend the promotion to the concourse level, where Maryland students can trial and/or inquire about additional information
- Feature a video from a Scion executive on the video board congratulating the winner on their achievement
- Tie in an incentive to the Maryland fanbase (if he wins, everyone in the crowd (or a section) wins XXX prize)
The company has a great slogan: 'What Moves You?'