When it comes to putting on marquee events, WWE is widely considered to be one of the best in the business. WWE showcased its prowess on Sunday when it attracted a record-setting 71,617 fans to the Georgia Dome for Wrestlemania XXVII.
The event grossed $6.6 million in ticket sales and attracted avid wrestling fans from all 50 states and 30 countries worldwide, including Snookie and several other pop-culture icons. Millions of consumers tuned in to watch the live PPV broadcast, which was aired in 100+ countries and 20 different languages.
From a consumer engagement standpoint, WWE teamed up with several promotional partners to create a WrestleMania Axxess event that serves as the ultimate fan fest for wrestling enthusiasts. At the event, fans were treated to meet-n-greets with their favorite WWE personalities, several photo booth displays (Vince McMahon's office, etc.), live ringside entertainment, Q&A's, memorabilia stands, and more. It's important that all the entertainment came at a price for fans too - admission is $35 for the 4-day event leading up to the marquee Wrestlemania event on Sunday evening.
From a promotional partner standpoint, enclosed is a quick breakdown of the on-site activity at WrestleMania Axxess:
- The National Guard - As the presenting sponsor, featured a tent display, showcars, etc.
- Slim Jim - Displayed a Slim Jim Spicy Town climbing wall as part of a larger footprint
- THQ - Featured an extensive WWE All-Stars Video Game Zone
- XFINITY - Featured video game displays, Plinko, information kiosks, and more
- Skittles - Featured an mechanical Skittles candy package (that consumers could try to ride)
- TWIX - Featured a WWE Superstars autograph booth
- Mattel - Displayed a full collection of action figures
Click here to see a complete gallery of photos detailing activation and entertainment at the WrestleMania Axxess event!
A special thanks to Chris Boggs of GMR Marketing for his insights and contributions to this column!